Recipe by heatherhopecs
I love the "fake"-ish meat in Taco Bell tacos... I'm hoping this recipe will come close to achieving that thick, greasy, salty meat I love!
Top Review by lilcritta2
This is my go-to recipe for taco night. It is even better the next day as leftovers. It does taste similar to Taco Bell's, but my husband says it's better. I always just use a pound of meat with the spice mixure and it turns out fine.
- 1 1⁄3 lbs lean ground chuck
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons masa corn flour
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant minced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beef bouillon
- 12 taco shells
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 head shredded lettuce
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Meat Directions.
- Mix together all ingredient except the meat.
- Stir the spice mixture well making sure that all spices have been blended well.
- Crumble ground beef and brown stirring well.
- Remove from heat, rinse with hot water and drain water and grease from beef.
- Return beef to the pan and add spice mix.
- Add 3/4 – 1 cup water to ground beef and seasoning and simmer on medium low temperature for 20 minutes.
- Simmer until most of moisture has cooked away.
- Remove from heat when moisture in meat as dissipated but meat is not dry.
- Assembling the taco.
- You can refresh the taco shells by placing them in a baking dish into a hot oven, 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes.
- To assemble tacos add a couple of tablespoons of ground meat, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and sour cream if desired.