Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
I use the Top Secret Recipe cookbooks and have found the Taco Bell Beef Soft Tacos taste pretty close, enough that we don't go there anymore! I use this meat for crunchy homemade tacos as well. This recipe calls for fat-free flour tortillas, and cheese. I have made them both ways-fat full and fat free.
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef (preferably 7% fat)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 dash onion powder
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 5 (6 inch) flour tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup shredded iceberg lettuce, plus
- 2 tablespoons shredded iceberg lettuce
- 5 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- In a medium bowl combine the uncooked ground beef with flour and all the spices. Use your hands to throroughly incorporate everything into the ground beef.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat and add the beef mixture to the pan along with the water. Brown the beef for about 5-6 minutes. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat as it cooks.
- You could heat up the tortillas a bit in the microwave by wrapping them in a moist cloth or paper towels. Heat for about 25 seconds.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of meat into center of tortilla. Place about 2 tablespoons of the shredded lettuce ontop.
- Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon cheese over lettuce.
I have been making this recipe for some time now!!! The water gives it the IDENTICAL texture of Taco Bell meat and the taste is great! You don't have to feel guilty for eating it!! Really great recipe! I did add CUMIN, as I couldn't believe it didn't call for it in the ingredients. In my opinion, cumin is what gives it that 'tex mex' flavor! didn't use the onion flakes either! Turned out great!
Very good but will add more spice next time, either red pepper flakes or cayenne. Used to fill Fresh, Fried & Spicy Soft Tacos.
Instead of raw beef I used 1 lb of precooked meat (All Purpose Ground Meat Mix) that I had already defrosted. I doubled the flour and tripled the rest of the ingredients and it came out great. Thanks!