Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Copycat of Taco Bell's Caramel Apple Empanadas.
- 1 (12 ounce) packagestouffer's frozen harvest apples
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 1⁄2 cups baking mix
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- Thaw apples in microwave at half power 6 to 7 minutes; let stand 3 minutes. Stir together apples and flour.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a medium skillet over medium heat; add apple mixture, brown sugar, and allspice. Cook, stirring constantly for 4 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Coarsely mash apple mixture, and set aside.
- Stir together baking mix and 1 cup whipping cream with a fork until moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 3 to 4 times.
- Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut into 12 (5-inch) squares.
- Divide apple mixture into 12 servings and place 1 serving in center of each square. Fold 1 side of square over, pressing edges with a fork to seal. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush tops evenly with 2 tablespoons melted butter.
- Bake at 400F for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.