Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Top Secret Recipes! This is my favorite sauce and I use it for everything! So glad to have this recipe, because it's difficult to find a Taco Bell in Asia!
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dissolve cornstarch in water in a medium saucepan. Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and cover until cool. Keep in a covered container in the refrigerator to store.
This recipe was created by Todd Wilbur for his book entitled "The Best Of Top Secret Recipes" (Penguin/Putnam 2003)
YUM. I really liked this. I am going to get a couple packs of border sauce to do the taste test this weekend, just for fun! Seved over eggs for breakfast yesterday. Made for VEG*N tag #3.
4 Stars, this seemed closer to Medium Taco Bell sauce, probably because I used McCormick's dark chili powder. It seemed fierier than I expected, and I used to frequent Taco Bell. However, every brand of chili powder is somewhat different; as I recall, Tone's is milder and would probably work better in this recipe for the mild border sauce taste. I used it to spice up some thawed cooked 50-70 count shrimp for Recipe #254614 254614, and that worked okay. This went together easily, but I would rather pick up a few packets at Taco Bell. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders.