- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onion
- 2 tablespoons canned jalapeno slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the tomato paste with the water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until smooth.
- Add the cayenne pepper; chili powder, salt cornstarch, vinegar, and dried onion and stir.
- Chop the jalapeno slices very fine.
- You can use a food processor, but don't puree.
- The best kind of jalapenos to use are those bottled for nachos or pizza.
- Add them to the mixture.
- Heat the mixture to boiling.
- Continue to stir about 3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Let the sauce stand until cool, and then put in a tightly sealed container and refrigerate.
- This will last for 1 to 2 months.