Recipe by Little Bee
This is soooo good. Tastes like the real Taco Bell ones!
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
I improvised a bit, since I made these on a minute's notice. I had quickly defrosted some chicken and added the marinade for a half an hour's soak. I subbed a drop of barbecue sauce since I didn't have any liquid smoke. I browned my chicken in a pan, then sliced and put back in pan with sliced green pepper to finish cooking. I used Mexican Rice Recipe #157492 (which has tomato sauce and seasonings, close to an enchilada sauce) and drizzled some Red Enchilada Sauce Recipe #168653. These turned out TERRIFIC and I'm so glad I didn't let my lack of time deter me from trying these. The chicken did have a good marinated flavor, despite the short marinating and the blend of cheeses went great. My husband said that these were much better than Taco Bell! Luckily, we have some leftovers for lunch. Roxygirl
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup enchilada sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 (12 inch) flour tortillas
- 1⁄3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- green onion (sliced)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl combine marinade ingredients. Pour the mixture over the chicken breasts and Marinade overnight.
- Cook the chicken on your barbecue or indoor grill over med-high heat for 5-6 minute per side, or until done. Slice the chicken into bite-size chunks.
- Add the enchilada sauce to the rice. Put on the rice over low heat, uncovered, and cook until hot.
- Heat the tortillas in a steamer, or wrap them in moist towels and heat on high for 25-30 sec. in the microwave.
- Build the burrito by spreading 1/4 of the chicken down the middle of one of the tortillas. Leave room at the end for folding. Spread 1/4 of the rice over the chicken. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of each of the cheeses over the rice. Sprinkle sliced green onions to taste. Fold up.
- You may want to heat up each burrito in the microwave for 20-30 sec. to help the cheese melt.
- NOTES : I also spoon a little more enchilada sauce over chicken mixture.