Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
For those of you who live in a place where Taco Bell does not sell their classic Chilito (and judging from Net, this includes alot of places), you can simply make them at home! This recipe is something I developed through trial and error. It is VERY close to the taste of the original. It also has that perfect "chilito" texture. Enjoy!! Important Note: The hot sauce called for in the recipe is Taco Bell's Hot or Mild Sauce (DO NOT USE the Fire sauce) You can make your own Taco Bell Hot Sauce: http://www.recipezaar.com/Taco-Bell-Hot-Sauce-45527
- flour tortilla
- 1⁄2 lb hamburger
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 8 ounces refried beans
- shredded cheddar cheese
- hot sauce
- Brown the hamburger and crumble into very small pieces; drain, but reserve some of the fat.
- Place hamburger back onto heat and add flour and mix until it is thick.
- Add the beans and heat through.
- Add the hot or mild sauce 1 packet at a time until you achieve that 'chilito' taste (usually 8 packets will do).
- Add the cheese, enough to make a big gooey mess, under medium heat.
- Taste, and you might need to add a little more sauce.
- Now here is the trick for that 'chilito' texture:.
- Take a tortilla and run warm water all over it to soften. The pop it in the microwave for 20 seconds to "steam" it.
- Fill tortilla with hot chilito filling, fold, and eat it. There will be a smile on your face.
Tastes just like the real thing and very easy and quick to make. I used about 12 packets of hot sauce because I wanted a little more heat. Do not use another brand of hot sauce or it will alter the flavor.