Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
This is a makeover of grandma2929's Taco Bell Chicken Quesadilla into a lighter healthier and lower sodium version. I don't think flavor was compromised on here.
- 2 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons low-fat sour cream or 1⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons minced canned jalapeno slices
- 2 teaspoons jalapeno juice, from canned jalapeno slices
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 zucchini, sliced long thinly
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 (8 inch) reduced-fat tortillas
- 1 cup light cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Prepare creamy jalapeno sauce by combining all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and chill so that flavors develop. Stir occasionally.
- Preheat your barbecue grill to medium heat Spray grill with low cal cooking spray.
- Salt and pepper each side of each chicken breast and the vegetables.
- Grill for 3-5 minutes per side.Lightly grill the vegetables until done. Cut zucchini in smaller slices. When chicken is done, slice it very thin.
- When you are ready to build your quesadillas, preheat a 12" skillet over medium low heat.
- When the pan is hot, lay one tortilla in the pan. Arrange about 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and 1/4 cup of shredded cheese on half of the tortilla.
- Arrange about 1/4 cup of sliced chicken and fourth of the vegetables over the cheese.
- Spread about 1 tbls of jalapeno sauce over the tortilla on the half with no ingredients on it.
- Fold the sauce-covered half of the tortilla onto the ingredients on the other half and press down with a spatula.
- Cook for about 1 minute, then turn the quesadilla over and cook for a couple more minutes or until the cheese inside is melted.
- Slice into 4 pieces and serve hot.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Loved these and the sauce really tasted great with the veggies and chicken. Thanks for posting, made for Everyday is a Holiday tag game.
I wasn't able to follow the recipe exactly, I don't keep sugar in my house so I used a little bit of honey instead(the good kind) and didn't have paprika or cumin either, but everything else was exact and OMG they were so delicious! I want to say it tastes better than Taco Bell's but they were better! Like a 5 star classy Taco Bell!!! My husband and kids have been asking me to make them all week, every night! They're like "Mommy can we have the Mexican grilled cheese again?!" (that's what they call them) lol 5 STARS!!
Would Recommend more cayenne for a bit more of a bite. Original recipe was a little plan and lacking spice. In all great recipe i will be using more often!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!