Recipe by Julesong
Posted by request, here's my take on Taco Bell's Cheesy Fiesta Potatoes...
Top Review by summer_rae
I followed the general ingredients of this recipe, but changed a lot because I was lazy. I used a pack of frozen diced hashbrowns instead of cutting up potatoes and followed the bags instructions (skillet for about 15 min with oil until golden brown) and added the powder and cumin while I cooked them. I was too impatient to put them in the oven, so I dumped them from the skillet into a bowl, slapped a slice (or two) of velveeta on top, and popped it in the oven and turned on the broiler. They came out AMAZING.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 lbs large white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄4 cups cubed Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup of your favorite salsa
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream, divided
- 1 green onion, chopped (green part only)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- In a Ziplock bag, mix the garlic powder and cumin together; add the cubed potatoes, seal the Ziplock, and toss it all together until potatoes are coated evenly.
- In a large, heavy skillet over medium heat melt the oil and butter together.
- Add the seasoned potatoes and cook, stirring frequently, until they're a nice, golden brown, about 10 minutes; cover and cook an additional 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the sautéed potatoes to a non-stick baking sheet and bake at 475 degrees F for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are nice and crisp.
- When potatoes are almost done baking, place the cubed Velveeta, salsa, and Tabasco into a microwave-safe bowl (I use a large Pyrex measuring bowl) and microwave for 1 minute; stir and microwave another minute; stir again and microwave for 1 more minute, then stir until smooth.
- For each serving, place some potatoes in a bowl, then pour over 1/4 of the melted Velveeta cheese sauce, top with some sour cream, then sprinkle with chopped green onion.