Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
this casserole is easily adaptable -- use Mexican Blend cheese instead of cheddar, or chopped jalapenos for lots of heat. We prefer it made with the mild chilies. Really good for a church potluck -- I always leave with an empty dish.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) package shell macaroni, cooked and drained
- 4 ounces chopped green chilies (mild)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Brown ground beef and onion over medium heat; drain.
- Add the water, taco seasoning and tomato sauce.
- Mix well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in macaroni, chilies and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese.
- Pour into a greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Very good. My hubby liked the cheese. I used a little ketchup in addition to the tomato sauce and I used left over taco meat. It was very filling, but not spectacular.
Very nice! I only used 2 ounces green chilies but everything else was done spot on.
This was good. I doubled it and put one in the freezer. I liked it served with parmesan on top!