Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This takes the classic Egyptian salad tabouli and turns it into a main course meal.
- 1 cut up broiler-fryer chicken
- 2 (6 ounce) cans marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can chopped tomatoes or 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 medium carrots, coarsely grated
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped of fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon, rind of
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cucumber
- Grease a large casserole dish and place the artichokes, chickpeas, tomatoes, carrots, chicken broth, wine, mint, garlic, bulgur wheat and lemon peel in the dish.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Add the cornstarch mixture to the vegetable mixture, stirring well.
- Place chicken on top or the vegetable mixture.
- Bake, covered, in a 350 F oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until fork can be inserted into chicken with ease.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley and cucumbers.
My son made this for our Egyptian recipe week. I really enjoyed the flavors and had never cooked with bulgur before. I would however add some seasonings to the chicken as it was a little boring.