I used to work in a restaurant where the Maitre' Ds prepared the Caesar Salad tableside. After watching many times, I experimented at home. I never really had measurements so my mother watched me once and sort of came up with this recipe that she kept in her cookbook. Might have to adjust measurements to fit your taste. Also, if you can't stomach anchovies like I can't see my note in the directions about anchovy paste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 anchovy fillets, rinsed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large uncooked egg yolk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/4 cup romano cheese
- 3 -4 romaine lettuce hearts (figure 1 heart per person)
- garlic-flavored croutons
- 1Crack egg and preserve yolk in small dish. Wash and tear romaine into bite size pieces and refrigerate while preparing rest of dressing.
- 2In large salad bowl (wooden is best), mash garlic into minced size pieces with fork (can cut up a bit first to make easier to mash). Rub garlic all around bowl to expel oils. Add anchovy filets or anchovy paste (found near canned seafood-looks like toothpaste tube). I just squeeze in about 1/2-1 teaspoon. Mash into garlic to form a paste.
- 3Add in egg yolk, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and dry mustard. Whisk with fork. Add olive oil in a slow steady stream whisking constantly until blended. At this point taste dressing to adjust tastes. You can add more lemon, Worcestershire, dry mustard, and/or olive oil. Don't worry if dressing seems too greasy, you can cut that with the parmesan/romano cheese.
- 4Add romaine to dressing and toss to coat. Sprinkle in cheese and toss lightly. Refigerate until ready to serve. This will allow the romaine to blend with dressing. Top with croutons and serve.
- 5Can also top with grilled chicken, shrimp, or salmon to make a meal.
Browse Our Top Salad Dressings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salad Dressings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tableside Made Caesar Salad
Serving Size: 1 (504 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 340.3
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 73.3 mg
- Sodium 386.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.2 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 13.7 g