Recipe by KateL
Entered for safe-keeping. From June 2012 Vegetarian Times. Tabil means coriander in Tunisian Arabic. Coriander is a pungent, slightly peppery seed. (Tunisia is located in the middle of Northern Africa.) This is a dry mix so it can be made in advance. Even with storage in a cool, dark place, the flavor will start to fade after one month.
- 1⁄4 cup coriander seed
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, use only 1 tsp. if a milder spice mix is preferred
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Place coriander, cumin, caraway, and red pepper flakes in small skillet. Toast spices 3 minutes over medium-low heat, or until darkened and fragrant, swirling pan constantly. Transfer to bowl, and stir in garlic powder. Cool.
- Finely ground spice mixture in spice grinder, coffee grinder, or mortar and pestle. Store in airtight container.