Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I've perfected this chicken pot pie and it's now a requested favourite among family and friends!
Make and share this Tabby's Homemade Chicken Pot Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 1⁄3 cups frozen green peas
- 1⁄4 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup minced onion
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- In the saucepan over medium heat, cook minced onions in butter until soft. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Mix chicken broth and milk together. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk mix. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Put pie crust in glass pie dish (must not be frozen) Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Brush pie crust with milk.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
YUM! I added two small potatoes and was out of flour so I used 1/2 the amount of cornstarch. My husband gave this a 9 out 10 on the delicious scale! Will definitely make again and again.
This is an OMG recipe! The broth is so-o good, and it is easy to put together. I used cooked chicken so I sauteed the onions, carrots and celery in a little butter and added the flour and then the broth and milk. I threw in the chicken, some peas and corn and let it simmer for about half an hour. I topped it off with dumplings and it was indeed comfort food. This will be a staple in our house. Thanks, Carole in Orlando
Wow was this ever good! I followed it exactly but added potatoes...the gravy was so smooth and creamy and rich...It was very filling, we loved it. Thank u for sharing this recipe Tabby!