Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
You can skip the preserved lemons(the salad will be just as good)! But be adventurous! Take time to finely cut all the vegies (confettied)! Serve as an appetizer, salad, side dish or main meal.
- 3⁄4 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups finely chopped parsley
- 2 cups finely chopped scallions
- 4 cups finely chopped super-ripe tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup fresh spearmint, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons crushed dried spearmint
- 2 tablespoons preserved lemons, rinsed and minced peel and pulp
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup whole fresh peas (or 1/2 c.each) or 1 cup chickpeas (or 1/2 c.each)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- olive (to garnish)
- feta cheese (to garnish) (optional)
- the inner romaine leaf (for filling if desired or eat straight up!)
- Soak bulgur wheat in boiling water to cover by 1/2 inch for 20 to 40 minutes and then place in sieve to drain.
- Shorter time the more chewy the bulgur.
- Combine minced onion with allspice, pepper and salt in a large bowl.
- Add parsley, scallions, tomatoes, fresh and dried spearmint and preserved lemons.
- Add cucumber peas and or chickpeas.
- Gently fold in the soaked or rinsed wheat.
- Stir lemon juice and oil together and stir into salad.
- Refrigerate to chill before serving.
- Check seasoning and adjust to taste.
- Garnish with Olives and feta cheese.
- Surround salad with small romaine leaves.
- Use them to scoop up the salad.
We absolutely LOVED this! This is my first time making my own Tabouleh salad and it was as good as any I have had in restaurants. I did not have fresh mint and used only dried, which worked great. I also did not have preserved lemons and added 3 tbsp of extra lemon juice instead. I used chickpeas and feta as well and reduced the oil by about 1/2 which did not hurt the recipe either. I will be making this again and again for sure. Made for Photo Tag.
Delish! The fresh herbs and preserved lemons really make this recipe and are really worth it. This is the best tabbouleh I have ever made. Thanks for posting, I would make this again for sure. Made for the October 08 veggie swap.
What a great tabbouleh recipe! Especially with the preserved lemons - been dying to use mine and they really added to this. Will make this yummy version many times I know - thanks Rita!