Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
- 1⁄2 cup fine bulgur
- 1 1⁄2 cups minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bunch green onion, white portion only, minced
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons minced of fresh mint
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more as needed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground toasted cumin seed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 head romaine lettuce hearts
- Put the bulgur in a small bowl, cover with cold water and let stand for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Place the bulgur in a clean kitchen towel or a double thickness of cheesecloth and squeeze dry.
- Transfer to a bowl and, using a fork, separate into individual grains.
- Stir in the parsley, green onions, tomato, mint, chickpeas, olive oil, the 3 Tbs.
- lemon juice and the cumin.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Taste and add more lemon juice, if needed.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, and serve with the romaine hearts alongside for scooping.
OK I couldn`t follow directions with this! First The cold water left it crunchy drained it and used hot water. Then I used sweet onion just because thats what I had. Added a cucumber. Substituted the lemon with 1 whole fresh lime juice.