Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is one of Ina Garten's recipes. I make it more in the summer when I can grow my own mint, tomatoes and cucumbers. It's so fresh tasting! The original recipe called for scallions instead of red onion. A great dish for leftover chicken.
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- kosher salt
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into small pieces
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup very finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves (2 bunches)
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, halved lengthwise and medium diced
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- In a heat proof bowl, pur the boiling water over the bulgur wheat. Add the lemon jice, 1/4 cup of olive oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Stir. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the bulgur to stand at room temperature for about 1 hour.
- After the hour has passed add the chicken to the bulgur, add the onions, mint, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Season to taste and serve immediately or cover and refrigerate. The flavor improves as it sits.