Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Middle Eastern salad like no other. Made with fresh veggies, olive oil and spices, it can be eaten in pita bread or with a fork. Popular side dish for lamb dishes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 onion, medium finely chopped
- 6 tomatoes, medium diced small
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup bulgur, medium grade
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce or 4 leaves grape leaves
- Soak bulghur in cold water for 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours until soft.
- Squeeze out excess water from bulghur using hands and paper towels.
- Combine all ingredients, except for salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Line serving bowl with romaine or grape leaves.
- Add salad.
- Sprinkle olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper on top.
- Serve immediately or chil in refrigerator up to 2 hours before serving.
This is a Lebanese recipes and sorry to tell you that you dont soak the bulgur for 1 /12 or 2 hours, you just use fine bulgur and we call it in Lebanon Burghul.You just wash it and use a handfull or 1/2 of this burghul. you thinly cut the parsley, tomato, onion and some green onion. Mix all the ingredient together add the lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper mix them one more time taste and adjust the salt and pepper . you can add a pinch of cumin if you like then serve it in a plate or bowl surrounded with grape leaves or lettuce leave. Bon appetit and Good Luck.
Gee, someone should advise Trader Joe's distributor! My box clearly says to soak before using in a salad. Perhaps the previous reviewer should post their own recipe!