Recipe by Nita Holleman
Tabbouleh Salad sometimes called Tabouli Salad is a very refreshing salad for the palate. It has lots of great parsley in it (which by the way acts as a breath freshener) as well as an appetizer. Nita Holleman, 2003
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 2 stalks fresh celery (ribs)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 vidalia onions or 1⁄4-1⁄2 other sweet onion
- 1 fresh spring green onion, scallions
- 1⁄4 fresh bell pepper
- 1 medium fresh carrot
- 1 -2 cucumber
- 1 -2 fresh tomato
- 2 fresh garlic cloves
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon table salt or 1⁄2-1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄3 cup oil or 1⁄3 cup mild olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover bulgur wheat (cracked wheat) with boiling water.
- Allow to soak covered about one (1) hour Meanwhile: Wash, remove stems and finely chop 1 bunch fresh parsley; Scrape or break to remove strings, wash and finely chop pieces/ribs fresh celery; Peel, rinse and finely chop onion; Peel, rinse and finely slice Green Onions (Scallions); Seed and chop finely bell pepper; Scrape, rinse and grate carrot; Peel, rinse, seed and chop cucumbers; Rinse, peel, seed and chop tomatoes; Crush, peel and finely mince garlic.
- Combine and set above vegetables aside.
- Combine: sugar; salt; black pepper; paprika.
- Lightly beat together: oil; Vinegar.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat together until blended well.
- Drain water from the bulgur wheat.
- Squeeze it with clean hands to remove more water.
- Drain well.
- Mix the bulgur wheat, vegetable mixture and toss with the dressing.
- Chill thoroughly or overnight.