Recipe by Bec
Add diced cooked chicken or seafood to tabbouleh for a tasty main dish salad. From "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious heart healthy recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program.
- 1 cup bulgur
- 2 cups hot water
- 3⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint or 2 teaspoons dried mint, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup peeled chopped cucumber
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- romaine lettuce leaf
- plain low-fat yogurt (optional)
For a more spicy mix add
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 drops Tabasco sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak bulgur in hot water for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Drain off any excess water.
- In a large bowl, combine bulgur, parsley, mint, onion and oregano.
- Add lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and additional spices if desired- Mix well.
- Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in chopped cucumber and tomatoes- Serve on romaine leaves and garnish with a dollop of yogurt if desired.