Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Classic fresh herb and couscous salad with a few additions - please trust me on the amount of lemon juice it does work!
- 2 cups couscous
- 6 lemons, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup very fine dice onion
- 1⁄2 cup fine dice cucumber
- 1⁄2 cup fine dice tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup fine dice salami
- 1⁄4 cup fine chopped cilantro
- 1 cup fine chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup fine chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Soak couscous in lemon juice until centre of grain is soft, should at least double in quantity. Should be enough lemon juice to just coat each grain.
- Add onion and salt and pepper and allow to stand for few minutes, minimum.
- Add rest of ingredients and mix well, best if served at room temp and left for a few hours.
- Great next day but herbs will look a bit sad!
- Great served with rich meats or any rich dish that needs the zap of the lemon to refresh the palate.
I replaced one lemon with the zest and juice of an orange then added two tsp of Ras El Hanout (moroccan spice) to the juice before mixing it with the couscous.
Then added 1/2 cup mixed chopped raisins and apricots and 1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds.
Not that it needed changing just couldn't help myself it's a fusion thing :-)
This is exactly the way I make Tabbouleh! I make it on sundays to take to work for a healthy and delicious lunch. Sometimes I put the meat in (Chicken) but usually leave it out. I have also added Feta to it and that is delicious! Thank you for sharing! I love this salad. :)
I must admit to being a bit unsure of the amount of lemon in this recipe....but hey it works!! This had a much higher ratio of couscous to herbs than the tradtional Tabouleh I'm used to but I loved it all the same. I tend to add the olive oil just before each serve, this way it will last for several days in the fridge without the herbs going a bit blah. I also added a small handful of toasted pinenuts. I took this to work several days this week for a tasty healthy lunch :)