Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
The spices make this version of the Lebanese salad special--and it's important to use good olive oil and lots of fresh lemon juice. Prep time does not include overnight soaking of the bulgur and herb mixture.
- 2⁄3 cup fine grain Bulgar wheat
- 8 scallions, finely sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mint leaves, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup fresh sorrel leaf, shredded (optional)
- 2 cups flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded, and finely diced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- Pick over the bulgur and place in a fine sieve; shake to remove any dust and place in cold water to soak briefly.
- In a good sized mixing bowl, combine the scallions, herbs, cucumber, spices, oil and lemon juice.
- Drain the bulgur and squeeze by hand to remove any moisture.
- Immediately add to the bowl and mix well.
- Add salt to taste, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, mix in tomatoes and additional salt if needed.
This was our first time having Tabbouleh and I think is was a success - at least on my side :) DH didn't enjoy it as much but he is always hit & miss with recipes like this as he doesn't like tomatoes so I leave them out on his plate - he's missing out!! Loved how the spices came through because I was really worried about that!! This was most excellent!! Thanks so much Chef Kate!! Made for Veg*n Swap 32!!
Simply amazing. My first time making Tabbouleh and now it's a staple! Super easy to put together, lovely to look at and really filling w/o being heavy. The first time I made it I used some dried herbs because that's all I had on hand. My BF literally ate the entire bowl between lunch and dinner! I didn't get a single bite. (He apologized later, but I'm not so sure he was sorry :-))
I used fresh ingredients from the farm I volunteer on the second time I made it and made it even better! I did leave out the sorrell because I couldn't find any, but just subbed lettuce with a little arugula. Not the same, I know - but still tasty!!
I added 1/2 a small red capsicum (pepper) and leftout the sorrell - couldn't find any. I also used bulgar and added the same quanitiy in boiling water, covered and left it for 20 minutes, perfect. I am serving this with grilled salmon. Thanks for recipe Elizabeth