Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My husbands Aunts are all great cooks. When we got married I was given this recipe. I make it every summer and sometimes as a treat when the weather is cold. I use more lemon juice. Sometimes I mix it up and add lime and cilantro instead of lemon and persley.
- 1⁄2 cup cracked wheat or 1⁄2 cup Bulgar wheat
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallion
- 1 tomatoes, diced
- 1 cucumber, peeled seeded and diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded (1 shredded head romaine is ok too)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- soak cracked wheat in water for 1 hou or until tender. squeeze out excess water from wheat. add all vegetables and tomato. toss.
- mix salt, lemon and olive oil. add to salad.
I haven't tried this particular tabbouleh, but in my experience, you have to use very hot water or let the bulgar soak for about a day in cold water.