Tabbouleh Libanaise. An authentic recipe for tabouli salad found on a Lebanese website (DownTownBeirut.com). Authentic tabouli is mostly parsley with very little bulgur at all.
- 1⁄4 cup bulgur, uncooked (fine cracked wheat)
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lb firm tomato, washed and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- crisp lettuce leaves or fresh cabbage leaf
- When I make this, I find that I can reduce the salt, lemon juice, and oil quite a bit, but I've posted the original ingredients list above for you to modify as desired.
- Wash chopped mint and parsley and then drain well.
- Wash the bulgur several times and drain.
- Soak the washed bulgur in the chopped tomatoes for about 20 minutes.
- Rub the chopped onion with salt.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Add olive oil and lemon juice and toss the mixture well.
- Serve with crisp lettuce leaves or fresh cabbage leaves, for scooping up the salad.