Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe is from a local supermarket handout.
Top Review by alligirl
Love it when I make homemade biscuits AND they turn out! LOL The amount of Tabasco called for didn't give me very much, 3-4 drops per biscuit. Next time, I may melt a tablespoon or so of butter, adding in the Tabasco and brushing over the tops. made as directed, my yield was 9, and mine didn't rise as much because I used a glass to cut them out, instead of a biscuit cutter. Thanks for sharing a winner of a recipe, Celticevergreen!
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon red pepper sauce (Tabasco brand)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, and coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Stir in butter and cheese. Stir in buttermilk, and mix until dough just comes together.
- Scrape out onto well-floured work surface, and pat dough to ½-inch thickness. Cut out biscuits with 2 ½-inch diameter round cutter.
- Repeat with remaining scraps of dough until you have 8 biscuits, and transfer biscuits to prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle red pepper sauce on tops of biscuits. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Serve hot.