Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from a local supermarket handout.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon red pepper sauce (Tabasco brand)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, and coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Stir in butter and cheese. Stir in buttermilk, and mix until dough just comes together.
- Scrape out onto well-floured work surface, and pat dough to ½-inch thickness. Cut out biscuits with 2 ½-inch diameter round cutter.
- Repeat with remaining scraps of dough until you have 8 biscuits, and transfer biscuits to prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle red pepper sauce on tops of biscuits. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until puffed and golden. Serve hot.
Love it when I make homemade biscuits AND they turn out! LOL The amount of Tabasco called for didn't give me very much, 3-4 drops per biscuit. Next time, I may melt a tablespoon or so of butter, adding in the Tabasco and brushing over the tops. made as directed, my yield was 9, and mine didn't rise as much because I used a glass to cut them out, instead of a biscuit cutter. Thanks for sharing a winner of a recipe, Celticevergreen!
Yum , I made these for breakfast and they were a delicious treat with sausage and coffee. I reduced the amount of tabasco and incorporated it into the dough (confession - I wasn't reading the recipe and assumed it went in not on top), it gave the biscuits just a little tang that really complimented the cheese. Looking at a previous photo and the amounts in the recipe I thought there wasn't enough so I doubled the baking powder . The taste, texture and rise came out great. I did need to add a little extra buttermilk but that's not unusual since moisture can really vary in flour. I like to pat my biscuit dough into a square and cut them so there's no scraps to reroll and I got 15. Made for ZWT 9 by a member of Mike and the Appliance Killers
Great and easy buttermilk biscuit recipe. Made the recipe as written. Everyone enjoyed the cheese and Tabasco sauce in the biscuits. Nice and flaky biscuits. Thank You. Made for ZWT9 - The Apron String Travelers.