Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe is from Kashmir, in India, and is a component of the formal grand feast called Wazawan. Wazawan is a 36-course rich and delicious meal, the trend of which started with the Wazas (the master chefs of Kashmir and the descendants of the cooks who migrated from Samarkand to Kashmir in the 15th century). Wazawan consists of mostly non-vegetarian dishes.
Top Review by Mia in Germany
Excellent for lamb ribs! I'm not good at preparing ribs, but this recipe works wonders. I loved the spice blend. Directions for preparation were very nice and clear, I've never made ribs so easily :)
Will make it again, thanks for posting!
Made for Healthy Choices ABC.
- 4 lbs lamb ribs or 3 lbs shoulder lamb chops
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed, ground
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 (2 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the ribs in a large skillet with a pinch of salt and the cayenne, fennel, ginger, turmeric, bay leaves, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, milk, and about 1/2 cup water.
- Bring to a boil, then adjust the heat so the mixture simmers; cook, turning the meat occasionally, until tender, adding more water if the mixture dries out, 30 to 45 minutes.
- When the ribs are tender, remove them. If any liquid remains in the pan, cook over medium-high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon to loosen any bits that have stuck to the bottom, until the mixture is just about dry.
- Remove the cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon stick, and bay leaves.
- Add the butter to the pan over medium heat and when it's hot, brown the ribs. Remove the ribs to a warm platter and add about 1/2 cup water to the pan.
- Once again, cook over medium-high heat, stirring with a wooden spoon to loosen any bits that have stuck to the bottom, until the liquid is reduced by about half. Pour over the ribs, garnish with cilantro, and serve.