Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Dutch biscuits made for Sinterklaas
- 3 1⁄3 cups plain flour
- 1 cup liquid honey
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon anise seed
- Put honey, water and anise seed into a small saucepan and gently bring to a boil.
- Add golden syrup to honey and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl and add spices, salt and baking powder.
- Add cooled honey mixture to the flour mixture. Stir until almost combined.
- Use hands to bring mixture together, and gently knead to a firm dough.
- Spread onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325F for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool and cut into 2 inch square pieces.