Recipe by ms carmelle
A veggie alternative to beef stuffed peppers for people who like the taste of meat but can't (or won't) eat it (like me!)
Top Review by Garlic Chick
Excellent! I made a double recipe of this yesterday because I had some TVP to use up. I followed the recipe but forgot to buy mushrooms. I can see how they would be good in this, or any diced veggies for that matter. I added 2 teaspoons of sugar to give it that tomato soup taste. One thing I will need to do differently next time is reconstitute the TVP first then stir in the gravy mix, spices and vinegar. It was so soupy that I ended up having to cook it down for quite a while on the stove with the onions to get it to a better consistency. I also sprinkled a bit of parmesan cheese on the top. I baked it at a lower temperature for a longer period of time. Turned out great, a very meaty yet meatless dinner. Thanks ms carmelle - I love this one!
- 2 large red capsicums (bell peppers) or 2 large orange red capsicums (bell peppers) or 2 large yellow peppers (bell peppers)
- 1 small yellow onion
- 5 white mushroom caps
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (425 g) can tomatoes
- 1 cup of dried textured vegetable protein
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons powdered gravy mix (vegetarian varieties available)
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- add the gravy powder, black pepper, and oregano to the T V P. add the boiling water stirring well then add the Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar and stir again. let that sit for at least an hour.
- in a shallow pan heat the olive oil on medium heat, chop the onion and press the garlic and heat both until they soften. don't forget to stir to avoid blackening the garlic! finely chop the mushrooms (i peel mine first) and add to the pan and cook until the mushrooms begin to sweat. Add the T V P to the pan and stir in for 2 minutes reduce heat and add the can of tomatoes. stir again until well mixed and turn off heat. preheat oven to 200°C.
- Prep the capsicums by taking off the tops and removing the seeds then rinse out. place capsicums on baking sheet and stuff with the T V P mixture.
- When the oven is hot enough place the baking tray on middle shelf and cook for 1 hour.
- Serve with mixed green salad and enjoy!
- VEGANS BEWARE. Worcestershire sauce contains anchovies so leave it out when making i don't use salt here because of the Worcestershire so if not using you will want to add to taste.
- PLEASE NOTE ABOUT T V P.
- In America you can get T V P frozen and already hydrated at the supermarket and so you could substitute 3 cups of that (as is) to the 1 cup of dried with the 3 cups of boiling water: here in Australia you can find T V P at the supermarket but its cheaper at the health food store (go figure!) and sadly I've not been able to find the frozen T V P trust me I've looked.
- Btw - in the United Kingdom T V P is sometimes known as soya mince.