Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Based on my: Vegan/Vegetarian Sausage Patties, this is a delicious addition to your favorite vegan gravy or pizza.
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- 3 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos (gluten-free if needed for gf diet) or 3 tablespoons soy sauce (gluten-free if needed for gf diet)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- 1⁄2 cup textured vegetable protein (gluten-free if needed for diet)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- oil (for frying)
- Stir boiling water with liquid smoke (if using), soy sauce, maple syrup, and molasses.
- Meanwhile, mix TVP with dry seasonings; stir to incorporate. Combine wet and dry mixtures. Then allow the TVP to absorb the moisture for about 5 minutes while you heat the oil.
- Fry mixture in oil in an uncovered frying pan on medium heat, about 5 minutes (or until browned), stirring occasionally.
How can this be so easy and so delicious? I reduced to 1T of Braggs as suggested and had to swap out ground fennel for caraway seeds (what I had in my pantry) and it turned out amazing!!! This recipe is a keeper for sure!
I'm absolutely amazed at what you can do with TVP. I asked a vegan friend at work what type of meat crumbles she preferred, and she told me to use TVP. Every recipe that I've used with it so far has been successful! Including this one! I can't believe it tastes just like sausage. If I didn't know it was NOT sausage, I would believe it was. I can't wait to put this in lasagne or spaghetti or something. One question though... I tried using this in a soup I was making... and a lot of the spices came off the TVP and into the soup ... it still tasted good though... but I'm wondering would that be to me not cooking it in the oil long enough or is it just that I shouldn't add it to soup?...
These were awesome! I did double the recipe and actually ended up mixing with a container of Pomi tomatoes to serve with pasta. It was really tasty! My husband already requested this again for dinner tonight. Thanks for a super easy and delicious recipe!