Recipe by KmartKlutz
The recipe says head-on shrimp are best for this dish but, you can use raw deveined shrinp insted. I hate cleaning shrimp! This recipe was first published in Saveur in January/February 1998
- 16 large shrimp
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons Southeast Asian fish sauce (nu'Ãƒ 'c mam)
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- With a paring knife, make a 1/4'' incision, through the shell, along the back of jumbo shrimp.
- Remove and discard veins, rinse shrimp, pat dry, and place in a bowl.
- Remove outer leaves from lemongrass, trim ends, and thinly slice inner stalk.
- Combine lemongrass, sugar, and Southeast Asian fish in a mortar and grind to a coarse paste.
- Spoon mixture over shrimp, mix well, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Remove shrimp from refrigerator and mix in oil.
- Heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook shrimp until pink and firm, 1-2 minutes per side. Serve with white rice.