Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
A good copycat recipe I use in place of Campbell's broccoli and cheddar for my soup freak! Serve with Salad, hot bread or crackers.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 slices process American cheese (like Kraft)
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 1⁄2 cups broccoli florets, cut to bite size pieces
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 -4 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- Combine Chicken broth, water, half and half, cheese, flour, onion and pepper in a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, then reduce to a simmer.
- Add broccoli and simmer for 15 minutes more or until broccoli is tender but not mushy.
- Pour into a large soup bowl and offer cheese and parsley at the table.
Currently eating this for lunch. Very easy and very good. I added chicken chunks and real diced onions. Next time i think i'll add more broccoli though to get those 5 a day in. I've never had TGIF's soup but this is very good.
We take turns bringing lunch for everyone in the office. I chose this to bring for my day. BIG hit. While others send out for pizza or whatever I try to fix good stuff. This fit the bill. Everyone thought I spent all kinds of time on it but it was a snap. I added a cup of cheddar with the "processed" cheese and it was great. Thanks for the recipe!
This was really good!! I did double the cheese however, we like stuff really cheesy! I also added a bit more broccoli. I will definitely be making this again!