Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A friend of mine at work made a vegetarian chili which I just loved. I used part of her recipe but then kicked it up a notch and added some heat. I also love the rich tomato flavor you get from the stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste.
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chili beans
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3⁄4 lb cubed turkey (use chicken breast if turkey is not available) or 3⁄4 lb chopped up turkey breast (use chicken breast if turkey is not available)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped
- 1 habanero, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium sized brown onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste if necessary
- Add oil to large pot and sauté onion and garlic on medium-low.
- Once translucent add ground turkey, cured turkey or breast meat and 1 tbsp of chili powder. Sauté until ground turkey is almost fully cooked.
- Add chicken stock, beans (can be drained or straight out of the can), chilies and another tbsp of chili seasoning and cook for 15 minutes on medium high.
- Add stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and last of chili seasoning.
- Bring to slow boil and then simmer uncovered on low for 45 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add cilantro, cook for additional 5 minutes and serve hot!
This is a great recipe!! Delicious! Now I just need to find a good cornbread recipe to go with it