Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A mix of spices -- coriander, cumin, caraway, cinnamon, and turmeric -- complements the caramelized crust that forms from either pan-searing, grilling, or broiling the versatile T-bone steak. Oven directions are given but better on the BBQ or pan grilled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Fit a wire rack over a baking pan and set aside. Rub steaks with olive oil, season with salt, and set aside.
- Coarsely grind the coriander, cumin, caraway, and rosemary using a mortar and pestle or an electric grinder. Transfer ground spices to a bowl and mix in the black pepper, cinnamon, and turmeric.
- Rub each steak with 1 tablespoon of spice mixture, making sure to cover both sides. Let the steaks sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat until very hot -- about 3 minutes. Add the canola oil and sear the steaks until a brown crust forms. Turn and repeat on the other side.
- Transfer the steaks to a wire rack set over the prepared baking pan, place in oven, and cook to desired degree of doneness -- about 9 minutes for rare, 11 for medium rare, 15 for medium, and 18 for well done.
Fantastic seasoning! We really enjoyed our steaks tonight -- the seasoning really gave it a great flavor; especially the cinnamon. I did not have any caraway seed and I opted to leave out the rosemary and replace it with garlic. I highly recommend trying this seasoning mix. Made for PRMR, July, 2013.