From the October, 1993 issue of Bon Appetite. I have made this several times, and it's worth the effort.
- Roast chili over gas flame or under broiler until blackened on all sides.
- Place chili in paper bag and let stand until cool.
- Peel, stem and seed chili.
- Finely chop chili and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- toss garlic with 2 T olive oil in heavy small baking pan.
- Roast garlic until soft, about 20 minutes; cool.
- Peel garlic, reserving oil in pan.
- Mash garlic in small bowl.
- Add butter, chili powder and hot pepper sauce and blend well.
- Mix in chopped chili and oil reserved from garlic.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over high heat.
- Season steaks with salt and pepper.
- Add to skillet; cook to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for rare.
- Arrange steaks on platter.
- Top steaks with chili butter.