Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Pol Martin, a well-known Canadian chef. A delicious steak with mushrooms in a cream sauce.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 beef t-bone steaks, 1-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cognac
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 3 drops lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 150ºF.
- Cook steaks in two batches using the following procedure. Heat half of oil in large frying pan. When hot, add meat and cook 4 to 5 minutes over high heat.
- Turn meat over, season well and continue cooking 4 to 5 minutes. Remove meat from pan and keep steaks hot in oven.
- Add butter, mushrooms, shallots, and parsley to pan. Season well and cook 4 to 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Pour in cognac and cook 3 minutes over high heat.
- Add cream and Tabasco sauce. Cook 5 to 6 minutes on high heat. Mix in lemon juice and serve with steaks.
A great steak doesn't get much better than this. Only change I made was to use olive oil instead of vegetable. The cognac does provide a 'je ne sais quoi' to the recipe - it's there, but it's difficult to describe. What I was really happy about was the plentiful amount of mushrooms in the yummy sauce. A keeper.
Love Pol Martin's recipes. They are always fantastic. This one is one of my favorites. Also, try his liver and onions if you like it. It is amazing!