1/5 Photos of Szechwan Fried Chicken
Lou van's Note:
I first cooked this Charmaine Solomon recipe a few years ago and thought it wa sgreat. I then went on holiday to Singapore and had this dish in a restaurant there and was amazed at how close this recipe is to the restaurant version. Lots of ingredients (as with most good Asian food) but don't be put off, it really is worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g chicken breasts (cut into bite size pieces)
- 4 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Chinese wine or 2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder (extra)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/2 cup oil (for frying)
- 15 dried red chilies (seeded)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions (chopped in 2 inch lengths)
- 1Mix chicken together with the cornflour(4 tbsp), salt and five spice powder (1/2 tsp), toss then dust offexcess cornflour.
- 2Mix stock, sugar, soy, sesame oil, vinegar, wine, five spice and pepper together.
- 3In a small bowl mix cornflour (2 tsp) and cold water.
- 4Heat oil in a wok and when very hot add chicken pieces, a third at a time and fry on a high heat, tossing the chicken to brown all over.
- 5As each batch is fried drain on absorbent paper and let oil return to a high heat before adding next batch.
- 6When chicken has been fried pour off all but 2 tbsp of the oil.
- 7Add chillies, garlic and ginger and fry until garlic and ginger are golden and chillies are dark.
- 8Add spring onions and toss for a few seconds, then add stock and bring to the boil.
- 9Stir the cornflour and water mixture again to mix smoothly and add to the pan, stirring constantly until it boils and thickens.
- 10Add chicken and toss to heat through.
- 11Serve immediately with white rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Szechwan Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 392.8
- Calories from Fat 245
- Total Fat 27.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 53.9 mg
- Sodium 648.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 20.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: