Recipe by Chilicat
Eggplant and ground pork in a spicy sauce. This is from "A Hundred Years of Island Cooking", an old cookbook from the Hawaiian Electric Company.
Top Review by Tanya S.
One of my favs. . .I just discovered coconut oil, so I brushed the eggplant with it; baked it in the oven for 10 minutes, and added some sweet peppers and basil. I only used about 1 tablespoon coconut oil for the whole thing. . .calorie buster!!!
- 1 lb eggplant (Japanese, if you can get it)
- 1 cup oil
- 1⁄4 lb ground pork (or poultry)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3 hot red peppers, seeded and minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Pare eggplant and cut into 2-inch strips.
- In a wok or skillet, heat oil to 450°F Fry eggplant until soft; remove from oil and set aside.
- Pour out all but 1 teaspoon of the oil; fry meat for 1 minute. Stir in eggplant.
- Combine remaining ingredients and stir into eggplant mixture; cook 1 minute.