Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Daughter gives us a Harry and David fruit of the month gift for Christmas. This month was "pearsnapples" and the insert had this wonderful salad. It is out of this world.
- 1 medium pear
- 1 medium apple
- 1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 cucumber, julienne cut
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped coriander
- 3 cups green leaf lettuce, shredded (I use baby spinach.)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- Place all ingredients for dressing into a small saucepan.
- Warm on low heat until creamy and well blended, whisking constantly.
- Add a 1 or 2 tablespoons of water to dressing until desired consistency.
- Mix about 2 cups of cold water and 1 Tbsp of lemon juice.
- Core apple and pear, cut into thin slices and drop into cold water.
- Wash and tear greens into bite size pieces.
- Combine chicken, cucumber and coriander.
- When ready to serve, drain and lightly dry the fruit.
- On chilled salad plates divide the greens into 2 portions, place chicken mixture in mound on top.
- Arrange the fruit slices on top and serve with the dressing.
I liked this salad quite a lot. I enjoyed the combination of spinach, crisp cold pears & apples, and the cilantro. The dressing is delicious and pairs well with the ingredients. I did have a problem with the thickness of the dressing and repeatedly added additional water. I do agree with other reviewers that sunflower seeds or chow mein noodles would be a nice added ingredient to add crunch. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
Made this salad yesterday morning and then took in a cooler to the pool with the kids. I made just as listed but reduced the amount of hot pepper sauce and cayenne pepper for kids. Excellent salad and wonderful for a take along. Next time, for adults, I will keep the hot stuff at the amounts written as I like it hot! Also, I think next time I will up the pear and apple to two of each as we really liked those bits the best. Thank you Paula for posting this wonderful and unique salad.
I am so happy eating this salad ~ it's so delicious! i used spicy chili sesame oil instead of the hot pepper sauce & cayenne. I poached my chicken breast in salted water so it's really tender. Love the (slight) burn that's building up! Contrast that with the cool crunchy pears, apples & cucumber ~ yippee! I'm eating the whole thing for my lunch right now. Made for Culinary Quest 2014/CCQ. Oh! I also ended up adding more water than listed to the dressing but once it was thinned out, it was amazing! love the flavors! Thanks, Paula!