Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is one of my favorite recipes from The Sonoma Diet. I serve this on Angel hair shredded cabbage that has been steamed. Oriental chili sauce is hot, be careful.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs medium shrimp (fresh or frozen)
- 4 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons fresh ginger (grated) or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry or 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon oriental chile sauce with garlic
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons canola oil or 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves (minced, 1 1/2 tsp minced)
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (cut into 1/2 inch)
- 2 cups fresh pea pods (trimmed)
- 6 cups Chinese cabbage (Napa, shredded)
- 1⁄4 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons green onions (sliced)
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen.
- Peel and devein shrimp.
- Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels.
- For sauce, in a small bowl combine the 4 teaspoons soy sauce, the ginger, dry sherry or water, Oriental chili sauce, the 1 teaspoon cornstarch, the sesame oil, and the 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt; set aside.
- Place shrimp in a medium bowl; sprinkle lightly with additional kosher salt and black pepper.
- Stir in the 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce and the 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch; set aside.
- In a wok or 12 inch skillet heat 2 teaspoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic; stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add mushrooms; stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add bell pepper; stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add pea pods; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from wok.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to wok or skillet.
- Add shrimp mixture; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until shrimp turn opaque.
- Stir sauce; add to wok.
- Cook and stir until boiling; cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Add mushroom mixture and Chinese cabbage; toss to coat.
- To serve, sprinkle with peanuts and green onions.