1/1 Photo of Szechuan Shredded Beef
Spicy and hot, this is one Chinese dish that belies the myth that you'll be hungry an hour after eating Chinese food. The meat can be marinated one hour or prepared ahead and left to marinate in the refrigerator, ready for a super-quick supper. Serve with plain rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb unscored flank steaks or 1 lb lean boneless blade steak
- 2 teaspoons mild soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sherry wine
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapenos or 1 tablespoon chili pepper, fresh or canned
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped gingerroot
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pinch five-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1Place meat in freezer until partly frozen to make it easy to slice.
- 2(Time will vary according to efficiency of your freezer but check at 30 minutes.).
- 3Cut meat across grain into 1/4 inch slices, then cut into 1/4 inch strips.
- 4Stir together soy sauce, sherry and vinegar; blend in cornstarch until smooth.
- 5Toss meat strips in mixture, coating well; let stand for 1 hour at room temperature or longer in refrigerator.
- 6Marinade should be completely absorbed by meat but if any remains, reserve and add to wok with sauce.
- 7Stir together jalapeno pepper, ginger root, garlic and five spice powder; set aside.
- 9Stir all ingredients together and set aside.
- 10In wok or skillet, heat oil.
- 11Add beef strips and cook over high heat, tossing and stirring to separate, for 1 minute.
- 12Sprinkle with sugar and cook, tossing and stirring, for 1 minute longer.
- 13Lift pan from heat; add spice mixture and cook for 1 minute in heat of pan.
- 14Add sauce and any remaining marinade.
- 15Return to heat and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Szechuan Shredded Beef
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.9
- Calories from Fat 120
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 78.4 mg
- Sodium 547.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 26.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: