Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I took my recipe for Szechuan Noodles With Spicy Beef Sauce because it is so popular, and changed it to make it vegetarian! So good with lots of veggies! Enjoy! NOTE:I have used frozen stir fry vegetaables to keep this recipe quick and easy, but also added fresh vegetables for those who can take a few more minutes. They are just suggestions, you may add whatever vegetables you would like!
- 6 ounces veggie crumbles (I use Morning Star Meal Starters-1/2 of a 12 oz. pkg.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (12 -16 ounce) packagefrozen stir fry vegetables (I use Oriental)
IF NOT USING FROZEN STIR FRY VEGETABLES
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sliced napa cabbage
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄2-1 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper (you control the heat!)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable broth
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup hoisin sauce (this is a sweet sauce, so start out with the lower amount and add as desired)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Noodles and Garnish
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- Brown veggie crumbles in oil in a large skillet, about 3 minutes; set aside and keep warm.
- Cook stir fry vegetables as directed on package. Set aside.
- If not using the frozen stir fry vegetables, saute cut vegetables for about 5-10 minutes, or until desired doneness. Set aside and keep warm.
- Pour sesame oil in pan and heat till hot. Saute onion, garlic, ginger and red pepper in hot sesame oil until tender.
- Combine cornstarch and vegetable broth, whisking until smooth.
- Stir broth mixture, hoisin sauce, and soy sauce into onion mixture.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Stir in veggie crumbles and cooked vegetables.
- Toss with hot cooked pasta, and sprinkle with sliced green onions. This is also good with brown rice.