Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one rice which rice loving people DO NOT want to miss:-)
- 250 g long-grain basmati rice
- 1 carrot, washed, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup French beans, washed and finely chopped
- 1 medium green capsicum, washed, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, washed and chopped
- 1 cup chicken, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup small shrimp, cooked
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon celery, washed, ends trimmed and chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ajinomoto (Chinese salt) (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 -5 drops oil
- 1 garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tinned mushrooms (washed, drained and chopped) (optional) or 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, washed and chopped (optional)
- Put a tsp of oil in a vessel.
- Fry the onion till transparent.
- Add carrots, beans, capsicum, celery, spring onion and mushrooms, if desired.
- Cook for a few minutes until they begin to turn brown.
- Transfer to another vessel.
- Now, fry the chicken and prawns.
- Pour a little oil in the vessel.
- Add chopped garlic.
- When it turns brown, remove it and keep aside.
- Once the oil is flavoured with garlic, put the rice in the same vessel of oil.
- Fry it for 5 minutes.
- Add all the vegetables, chicken and prawns.
- Cook the rice in the chicken stock.
- When the rice is cooked, add all the sauces.
- Increase heat and fry for 5 minutes.
- Stir and serve hot.
- Hmm, dig in, what are you waiting for, eh?
This dish was great. The browned garlic oil makes all the difference in the taste. I made a vegetarian version of this with brown rice. IMO the chili sauce can be increased...