Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs eggplants, 2 inch wedges
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red bean paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon szechuan peppercorns, roasted and ground
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (I use arrowroot)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Mix bean paste, soy sauce, dry sherry, vinegar, sugar and Szechuan peppercorns in one bowl.
- Mix cornstarch, water and sesame oil in another bowl.
- Heat Wok until hot, add oils and heat until the oil streams freely on the side of the wok.
- Add eggplant to the wok and toss until coated with oil.
- Cook until it's soft and golden brown (about 6 minutes).
- Add sauce and cook for 3 seconds.
- Add starch mixture and cook until the starch turns translucent.
- Serve with Rice.
Recipe derived from the Key to Chinese Cooking by Irene Kuo
A fantastic version - very fragrant and complex taste. Highly recommended for those who like spicy eggplant.