Recipe by Jujubegirl
I've never eaten eggplant this way, and it's so good. It gains an almost meaty texture and really makes the dish something special. It's earned a regular rotation on our dinner menu. The ingredients look simple but the flavor is restaurant-quality. For the Szechuan sauce, I use Spicy Szechuan Peanut Sauce. It makes double the amount needed for this recipe, so use half and save the rest, or just halve the recipe when making it.
Top Review by Sharon123
I scaled the recipe down for two and it made alot, but that's okay because my son and I finished it off quickly. We don't have piquillo peppers around here that I know of, so I used anaheim. I had peanut szechuan sauce but only used a little cause it's so hot, and subbed in some teriyaki sauce(I actually used alot more than called for) and it was delicious. Thanks! Made for PRMR game.
- 2 eggplants (Aubergines, peeled and sliced into 2-inch rectangular strips)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 4 piquillo peppers (sliced thin(these are jarred and often found in the international section of the store)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot (minced)
- 3 tablespoons green chilies (fire roasted preferred)
- 1⁄3 cup szechuan sauce
- 3 tablespoons unsalted peanuts (chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle the eggplant slices with a couple tablespoons of salt and let rest 15 minutes. Rinse pieces in lukewarm water.
- Add black pepper and cornstarch to eggplant and toss together to coat the eggplant.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a skillet, and add the eggplant until they get soft and brownish (approx 10 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside. (You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your skillet.).
- Steam broccoli, red pepper, onions, and cauliflower until slightly al dente.
- While the veggies are steaming, heat 1 tbsp oil in skillet and add shallots and green chilies. Cook for a couple minutes, then add Szechuan sauce.
- Add the eggplant and the veggies, and cook through, 5-10 minutes. Garnish with chopped peanuts.