Prep 4 hrs
Cook 15 mins
Some of the best spicy pickles I've ever eaten. Simple to make but takes a while to prepare. Good appetizer. This is also good poured over asparagus.
- 3 large cucumbers, unpeeled
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4 dried hot red chili peppers, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sesame oil
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar or 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- Wash cucumbers, cut in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Cut cucumber halves into 1/2 inch slices. Place in medium bowl, sprinkle with salt and let stand for 4 hours.
- Squeeze liquid from cucumbers and rinse, place with garlic and red peppers in serving dish.
- Heat sesame oil in a small saucepan over high heat until it begins to smoke. Pour over cucumber slices. Heat vinegar in small saucepan until it boils. Remove from heat add sugar and mix well. Pour over cucumbers and stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate for about 4 hours before serving. May be refrigerated up to 1 week. Serve cold.
A really great recipe I would never have thought of if it weren't for this site. Instead of slicing the cucumbers I peeled them, then used the potato peeler to make paper thin slices until I hit the seeds. I found they absorb the dressing even more and add to the presentation. A secret weapon recipe I serve with almost any szechuan meals thanks to you!