- 1 lb flank steak, partially frozen
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup cornstarch, approximately
- 2 peanut oil
- 1 large orange
- 8 dried hot peppers, to taste
- 1⁄4 small onion, cut in 1/2 inch squares
- 1⁄4 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- *THEORANGE: With vegetable peeler,cut zest from orange into long pieces.
- Cut pieces into thin strips.
- Dry slightly in microwave oven.
- Slice the orange for garnish.
- Steak should be frozen, but still pliable for easier slicing, slice in strips across the grain.
- Coat the meat completely with cornstarch and set aside.
- Combine dried orange peel in a small dish with hot pepper.
- Cut onion and combine in another small dish with water chestnuts.
- Mince garlic and green onion.
- SAUCE: Combine rice wine, sugar, soy sauce, chicken broth, and oyster sauce in a small bowl.
- Put a metal strainer over a large saucepan in kitchen sink.
- Heat wok for two minutes over highest heat.
- Add oil and heat until it is very hot.
- Add beef, stir to break it up.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, til the outside is crispy.
- Transfer to strainer in sink and pour oil and beef into it.
- Place empty wok back on high heat, add garlic and green onion.
- Add hot pepper and orange peel, Stir briefly.
- Add onion and water chestnuts and stir 30 seconds.
- Add sauce and stir well to coat.
- Let mixture boil until it thickens slightly.
- Add hot beef and then sesame oil.
- Put on serving plate and garnish plate with orange slices.
- Serve with rice.
I didn't have oyster sauce or water chestnuts in my pantry, but this recipe looked awesome , so I went out of my way to go to the store and buy those ingredients. I followed the recipe to the letter as I always do, so I can fairly rate the recipe. I am so happy I put the extra effort in to make this. It was AWESOME, my hubby loved it. Kudos to you for posting this. I will make again, and now I will forever keep oyster sauce and water chestnuts in my panty.
Loved this. Did not have whole peppers, so used 1 Tbsp. dried flakes. Too much for the kids, but just right for me and the husband. We loved it and will have again. Also, I used 2 oranges, and it was very tasty. A nice hot dish for a cold night.
We loved this. A wonderful pungency from the oranges gave this a great flavor. The beef turned out nice and crispy and the sauce was delicious. I think I used an orange too small for the recipe and we felt it could use more of the orange strips. This however, did not detract from the recipes appeal. Thank you!