Top Review by LousyChef
This was so tasty! My beef never got crispy, but I think that is my fault, too scared to get the as hot as probably needed to crisp it. Also, my beef was not frozen, since I purchased it already sliced. Used pepper flakes, and the heat was perfect! Loved the orange flavor without using orange juice (usually too sweet for me) and the sauce was nice and thick.
- 1 lb flank steak, partially frozen
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup cornstarch, approximately
- 2 peanut oil
- 1 large orange
- 8 dried hot peppers, to taste
- 1⁄4 small onion, cut in 1/2 inch squares
- 1⁄4 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Directions See How It's Made
- *THEORANGE: With vegetable peeler,cut zest from orange into long pieces.
- Cut pieces into thin strips.
- Dry slightly in microwave oven.
- Slice the orange for garnish.
- Steak should be frozen, but still pliable for easier slicing, slice in strips across the grain.
- Coat the meat completely with cornstarch and set aside.
- Combine dried orange peel in a small dish with hot pepper.
- Cut onion and combine in another small dish with water chestnuts.
- Mince garlic and green onion.
- SAUCE: Combine rice wine, sugar, soy sauce, chicken broth, and oyster sauce in a small bowl.
- Put a metal strainer over a large saucepan in kitchen sink.
- Heat wok for two minutes over highest heat.
- Add oil and heat until it is very hot.
- Add beef, stir to break it up.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, til the outside is crispy.
- Transfer to strainer in sink and pour oil and beef into it.
- Place empty wok back on high heat, add garlic and green onion.
- Add hot pepper and orange peel, Stir briefly.
- Add onion and water chestnuts and stir 30 seconds.
- Add sauce and stir well to coat.
- Let mixture boil until it thickens slightly.
- Add hot beef and then sesame oil.
- Put on serving plate and garnish plate with orange slices.
- Serve with rice.