As a solo chef, cooking for one presents certain challenges. Some recipes easily scale down easily and others do well for safely tucking leftovers in the freezer future meals. That said, it is always delightful to find a recipe designed for small batch cooking that is also healthy and delicious. I am also planning to try this with tofu. This recipe easily scales up to 2 or more servings. (4 WW points or Core plus 1 pt for the peanuts)
- 4.92 ml peanut oil or 4.92 ml canola oil
- 113.39 g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4 inch cubes or 118.29 ml extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2 strips
- 0 green peppers or 0 red pepper, cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 118.29 ml celery, cut into 1/3 inch thick slices
- 4.92 ml gingerroot (finely minced or grated)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2.46 ml sugar, for baking or 2.46 ml Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 7.39 ml low sodium soy sauce
- 7.39 ml rice wine vinegar
- 2.46 ml red pepper flakes
- 59.14 ml bean sprouts (optional)
- 14.79 ml unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 leaf iceberg lettuce or 4 leaf boston lettuce
- Chefs comment: The cooking for this stir-fry moves rather quickly so have your ingredients prepared and ready before you begin cooking.
- Place a large nonstick skillet over high heat for two minutes. Add the oil and swirl oil to coat the pan. Add the chicken, peppers, celery and ginger to the pan and cook for three minutes until the chicken is opaque.
- Stir the garlic and sugar/Splenda into the pan. Add the soy sauce, vinegar, red pepper flakes (and bean sprouts, if using) and cook an additional minute.
- Toss in the scallions and peanuts. Take pan off the heating element.
- Place half of the stir fry into the cup of each lettuce leaf (towards the bottom). Tuck in the sides of the lettuce leaves so it looks a bit like an open envelope. Roll the bundle so that it looks a bit like an egg roll or burrito.
- For Vegetarian use the tofu.
What a great simple, fast, healthy dinner! I doubled the recipe with no problems and served with sides of soy and chili garlic sauce for dipping. Thanks for a fantastic no fuss recipe!!