Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got this from another website, that I cannot recall offhand. It is quick and delicious, a bit spicy as well, so you can tame it down by using less cayenne and dried red chilies if you wish.
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, about 7 ounces each
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons rice wine, dry sherry or 2 tablespoons cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed dried red chili (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 4 carrots, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Cut the chicken breasts into thin strips. (Partially freeze chicken breasts first to make this easier).
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside. Whisk the cornstarch into the egg whites. Coat the chicken strips in the cornstarch mixture. Heat 1 cup oil in the wok. Cook the chicken strips briefly in the hot oil until they turn white. Remove the chicken and drain on paper towels. Clean out the wok and add 1 tablespoon oil. When the oil is hot, add the carrots. Stir-fry briefly and add the peppers.
- Make a "well" in the middle of the wok and add the sauce. Heat briefly, then mix the sauce in with the vegetables.
- Return the chicken to the wok.
- Stir-fry 1 to 2 more minutes. Stir in the green onions. Serve with rice.
I really enjoyed this. I also added sliced onion and half a chopped courgette to the vegetables. Next time, for the sauce, I think I will reduce the quantity of ginger and sugar by half as I found the ginger a bit overpowering and the sugar left it a little too sweet for me. But these are only minor adjustments to suit my personal taste. Overall I think this is a great recipe and will use it again.
FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I added some julienne carrots and celery which gave a little crunch. YUM-O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!