Recipe by Mille®
Excellent recipe from the Manchester Highlands Inn, Manchester, Vermont
Top Review by Judith
This soup is wonderful! I love carrot soup and this was better than any I have had. The red pepper adds a little zip without making it hot. I used half and half instead of the milk because I had some in the refigerator. I will definately be making this often.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3⁄4 inch fresh gingerroot, peeled and sliced thin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream, mixed with the cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy saucepan cook onion, celery, and garlic in oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until onion is softened.
- Add carrots, ginger root, red pepper flakes, and broth and simmer, covered, until carrots are very tender, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and, in a blender or food processor, puree mixture in batches (use caution when blending hot liquids).
- Return soup to pan and heat over low heat until hot, being careful not to let boil.
- Serve soup drizzled decoratively with sour cream mixture.