Recipe by Enjolinfam
This salad tastes great wrapped in tortillas or served over baby spinach that's been sauteed in a small amount of olive oil. Found this recipe in Vegetarian Times. It won first place in a recipe contest and was submitted by someone named Laura McAllister.
Top Review by Vicki in CT
* 7/31/08 edit--This was so MUCH better the next day. Took the left overs to work and it went over really well. It really needs time for the flavors to meld well.**This was quite tasty. I thought the bell peppers came through a little too strong, however. I had to sub habenero peppers for the jalapenos because the current restrictions. This was great on its own, but I also wrapped in a tortilla with pepper jack cheese and grilled on my panini press and it was amazing!
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced (2 Tbsp)
- 1 garlic clove, minced (1 tsp)
- 1 avocado, cubed (1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon szechuan sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss together black-eyed peas, bell pepper, onion, jalapeno pepper, and garlic in large bowl.
- Toss avocado with lemon juice in a seperate bowl.
- Then add the avocado to the black-eyed pea mixture.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, Szechuan sauce, and sugar in bowl used for avocado.
- Toss black-eyed pea mixture with Szechuan sauce dressing.